USCF Rated Scholastic Chess Tournaments & Lessons
Suspended temporarily due to Covid-19
- Our tournaments are conducted on Sunday afternoons once a month.
- They are always professionally conducted with a healthy dose of competition and enjoyment for all students.
- For pairings we use a Quad format; each quad is formed based on latest published ratings.
- Each tournament consists of 3 rounds; G25/5d for regular section; G55/5d for advanced section.
- There is no elimination; all players play 3 games each.
- In case of a tie-break for 1st place, there will be a 5 minute blitz-off.
- All material for the games for example, chess sets, clocks, notation sheets are always provided (we have notation books for sale as well).
- The winner of each quad receives a BlitzKidz medal.
- Blitzkidz Winner Trophy is awarded when a player accumulates 3 medals in 3 separate tournaments and wins the quad for the 4th time.
- All participants receive a token participation item when they attend our tournament for the 1st time.
- We also provide professional chess lessons before our tournaments. These lessons are conducted by an expert coach and are suitable for players of all skill levels.
- Lessons include game analysis of famous Chess games as well as an interactive component where the students can bring their challenging real-life chess games to discuss in the classroom.
- Students can choose to attend just the tournament or a lesson in conjunction with the tournament.
(We also conduct lessons at this location every Sunday during the Fall and Spring semester. For further information on lessons, please visit our Afterschool page. For registration, please use the ‘Temple Sinai’ option.)
General Guidelines for our Tournament
- All participants must have a current USCF ID. To get a new ID or renew your ID, please click here.
- Please register online so that pairings can be made ahead of time.
- If you register online and prefer to pay in cash, please make sure that you reach the venue at least 15 minutes ahead of time to complete registration.
- On-site registration is available but is not encouraged. Walk- ins can only come before 2 pm, after 2 pm no walk ins will be registered.
- If you are unable to attend the event, please inform us by Saturday night for a full refund to be issued.
- If you do not inform us of your absence, no refund will be issued.
- Please ensure that you are on time for the tournament to start on schedule.
Please note that while you may drop off your child at your own discretion, BlitzKidz as well as the venue staff are not responsible for the child’s safety. We do have plenty of room for parents to sit and relax at the venue.